Described by Forbes as “one of the more prolific recruiters in the country”, Larry founded Watanabe Nason in 1998 and has been a legal recruiter for 28 years. The Los Angeles Daily Journal said, “The legal talent who jump from firm to firm may grab headlines. But the man behind the moves in California, making the calls and tapping into the highest levels of law firm leadership to influence the make-up of the state’s legal market is Larry Watanabe”.
Larry’s practice involves the representation of partners and practice groups seeking new affiliations. His expertise includes partner practice analysis, creating business strategies for partner practices and the negotiation of partner compensation.
Partners have said:
- “Larry has tremendous insights about the legal community and lawyers.”
- “Larry is very well connected, a consummate professional and very trust worthy.”
- “Larry is part recruiter, counselor, financial advisor, and above all a good friend.”
- “I consider him trustworthy and incredibly ethical.”
News articles have stated:
- “Perhaps more than anyone else, Watanabe and the partners at his search firm are responsible for the changing shape of the region’s legal landscape”.
- “His firm dominates the legal recruiting market in California. A smattering of its San Diego deals alone read like a modern history of major events in the region’s legal services industry.”
- “His database of about 6,000 clients and candidates is well-known in legal circles. If a potential lateral partner has a question about a law firm’s profits in the last year, Watanabe pulls up the data in seconds.”